DISCOVERY circles offer a place to connect, and to live out our values in the context of personal gatherings and small groups.
ABOUT DISCOVERY CIRCLES
One of the many blessings of McKillop United Church is its large size; this enables us to do a lot in the community and in the congregation and generate the irresistible energy that runs throughout this community.
With two services and a large congregation, one of the challenges is how to feel that we belong. How can we live our values of welcoming, nurturing, affirming, diversity, social justice, and spirituality?
DISCOVERY circles are designed to ignite connection in the context of small groups - everybody is invited to join a circle or DISCOVERY one of their own.
The goals of these circles are to …
• ENHANCE BELONGING: DISCOVERY circles allow each participant to get to know other people and help create a sense of belonging at McKillop
• CELEBRATE & EXPLORE: DISCOVERY circles offer a space to celebrate our gifts with each other and to explore new ideas and skills
• CREATE A SAFE SPACE: DISCOVERY circles provide a safe place to share what’s in our heads and hearts and to explore the spiritual aspects of everyday life
Discovery Groups Beginning in 2018
Tuesday, January 7th at 6:00 P.M.
BOOK STUDY ON THE GAY CHRISTIAN AND GOD
January 8th at 7:30 P.M.
BIBLE STUDY GROUP
Wednesday, January 10th at 9:30 A.M.
Wednesday, January 10th at 1:00 P.M.
KNITTING & MEDITATION
Thursday, January 18th at 10:30 A.M.
THURS. EVENING BOOK STUDY
Thursday, January 18th at 7:00 P.M.
FRIDAY MORNING BOOK STUDY
Friday, January 19th at 9:30 A.M.
MEN’S MORNING COFFEE
Mondays 10 AM - 12 PM
Stop by for Men's Monday Morning Coffee ..... Share a coffee with new friends...old ones, too. Maybe have a game of crib/checkers/chess or simply sit by the fire and 'shoot the breeze.' Anytime between 10 am and noon each Monday in the Lane Lounge.... exclusive of Christmas and New Years day and beginning again January 8th.
INTEGRAL CHRISTIANITY: THE SPIRITS CALL TO EVOLVE
Thursday, January 18th at 7:00 A.M. at Smitty’s
Join Eric Bremer and Trevor Potter for a new discovery circle on Paul Smith’s Book: “Integral Christianity: The Spirits Call to Evolve”. This book presents a model of Christianity that incorporates the insights of a Jesus-centered theology of biblical interpretation, integral philosophy, and incorporates elements of traditional, modern, and postmodern theological viewpoints, including progressive, New Thought, and emerging/emergent ones.
The book can be ordered on inidgo.ca or amazon.ca. Smitty’s is located at 2053 Mayor Magrath Dr S.
WEDNESDAY MORNING MEDITATION
Wednesday, January 24th from 8:30-9:30 A.M.
Join Trevor in this 6 week Meditation class where we explore the ancient Christian spiritual practices of lectico divine, mediato, contemplatio (spiritual reading, meditation, contemplation). The group will also be using a book from John Main, founder of the World Wide Community for Christian Meditation.
To register, please call the church office at 403-328-2703.
Discovery and start your own Discovery Group
Potential Ways to discover a connection
• Physical activity; hiking, cycling, yoga, walking …
• Special interests; art, crafts, knitting, music, quilting, board games, video games movie group…
• Spiritual study; bible studies, book studies, meditation …
• Age related groups; family games night, Mom’s walking group …
• Social justice; soup kitchen, food bank, picking up trash, climate change …
• Emotional support; sharing comfort in times of grief, divorce, parenting …
• Affirming; LGBTTQ book study, fellowship …
• Sunday worship; Sunday lunch group, Sunday morning book study …