Diverse, Inclusive, Spiritual, Caring, Open, Vibrant, Elevating, Relevant, You
DISCOVERY circles offer a place to connect, and to live out our values in the context of personal gatherings and small groups.
ABOUT DISCOVERY CIRCLES
One of the many blessings of McKillop United Church is its large size; this enables us to do a lot in the community and in the congregation and generate the irresistible energy that runs throughout this community.
With two services and a large congregation, one of the challenges is how to feel that we belong. How can we live our values of welcoming, nurturing, affirming, diversity, social justice, and spirituality?
DISCOVERY circles are designed to ignite connection in the context of small groups - everybody is invited to join a circle or DISCOVERY one of their own.
The goals of these circles are to …
• ENHANCE BELONGING: DISCOVERY circles allow each participant to get to know other people and help create a sense of belonging at McKillop
• CELEBRATE & EXPLORE: DISCOVERY circles offer a space to celebrate our gifts with each other and to explore new ideas and skills
• CREATE A SAFE SPACE: DISCOVERY circles provide a safe place to share what’s in our heads and hearts and to explore the spiritual aspects of everyday life
Fall 2017 Discovery Groups
Starts Wednesday, September 13, 2017.
9:30 - 11:00 A.M.
This group explores the meaning of the Christian scripture.
Facilitator: Barb at 403-752-3782
Fly fishing is for men and women; a deeply spiritual journey. No experience needed.
Study with Richard Rohr
Begins Tuesday, October 3, 2017, and will continue for 7 weeks.
Will be using Richard Rohr's book, "Immortal Diamond: The Search for our True Self" as well as videos in this discovery circle.
To register and purchase the book ($15.00) please call the church office at 403-328-2703.
Discovering the power of Intention
Starting October 5, 2017
Join this 5 week Discovery Circle to discover your power to change and enhance your life through positive intention using a Wayne Dyer video series as a resource. RSVP Judy in the church office and for more information contact Sina at 403-317-0404.
Knitting & Meditation
Begins Thursday, September 4, 2017.
10:30 A.M. - Noon.
Please join this 10 week group for knitting, meditation, and caring conversation.
Tuesdays, 5:00 - 9:00 P.M.
Although we are officially a machine quilting group, on any given Tuesday evening you will find folks sewing, quilting, knitting, and hand stitching. A great deal of sewing, laughter, and relationship building ensued.
Thursday Evening Book Study
Frist Meeting, September 22, 2017.
This is a monthly group that explores themes of spirituality.
Inner Quest Book Circle
Begins Friday, September 15, 2017.
9:30 - 11:00 A.M.
Please email Donna Stafford or Nancy Brown for more information.
Discovery and start your own Discovery Group
Potential Ways to discover a connection:
• Physical activity; hiking, cycling, yoga, walking …
• Special interests; art, crafts, knitting, music, quilting, board games, video games movie group…
• Spiritual study; bible studies, book studies, meditation …
• Age related groups; family games night, Mom’s walking group …
• Social justice; soup kitchen, food bank, picking up trash, climate change …
• Emotional support; sharing comfort in times of grief, divorce, parenting …
• Affirming; LGBTTQ book study, fellowship …
• Sunday worship; Sunday lunch group, Sunday morning book study …